Viking Dusty's "Blog Classic"

A small, poignant slice of the curious pie that is Dusty's brain.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

James Buchanan and Kevin "Kevin" Smith

Today would have been a rather normal Saturday if not for those two wonderful names. Let me tell you about them...

Once upon an earlier today, a customer came up to a photo counter in a store called Walgreens. The Walgreens that the customer had entered happened, by chance, to be the very same Walgreens at which I am employed. During the usual exchange that happens when one is dropping off film I discovered that this gentleman's name was James Buchanan.

"Like the president." I remarked.
"Yes. Its good to see someone who knows their history. Do you by any chance know which president was the only one to remain a bachelor?" he inquired.
"Could it be... James Buchanan?" I replied.
"You are correct. And do you know who was secretary of state in the year 1844?"
"Could it be... James Buchanan?"
"Right again. Do you happen to know who the next president was after Buchanan?"
Now i was excited. "Sir, not only do i know the answer, but I can list for you all of the presidents, in the order they served." And I did.
He was very impressed. We talked history for a bit longer and then he left.

That is the second time in my recent history (within the last year) that being able to list off the presidents has come in handy for me. The first time I won something (i dont remember what) at Coffee People for knowing who the 17th president of the United States was. And lets not forget the countless Jeapordy questions this little trick has helped me with. Okay, i realize for most people this story was probably not very interesting, but the next one is really funny so please read on.

A few hours after James Buchanan came in I was greeted by an Asian lady who did not speak very good English. Here was our exchange:

Asian lady (AL): "Pick picture."
Dusty (D): "You want to pick up pictures?"
AL: "Pick picture."
D: "What is your last name?"
AL: "Kevin."
D: "No, what is your LAST name?"
AL: "Kevin."
Now, was a little frustrated at her failure to grasp what I was trying to communicate, so I decided to try a different approach. This time, rather than just asking the same question again I decided to give her an example.
D: "Kevin what? Kevin Smith, Kevin..."
Before I could finish another example she interrupted me.
AL: "Yes! Kevin Smith"
Apparently, my example turned out to be correct. Kevin's last name was Smith.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:07 AM, Blogger thesticklergirl said…

    I love to here your stories!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    I have a client named Michael W. Smith .. in case that matters!

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love it when those little talents come in handy. Like when I solved the rubiks cube at church.
    We watched die hard with a vengence after you guys left. I was thinking of you because they we trying to figure out who the 21st President was.

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you can list all the presidents? that's rather impressive.

     
  • At 5:20 PM, Blogger Viking Dusty said…

    I am 90% Kevin Smith is her husband. I think i remember him dropping them off, but i didnt realize this at the time the whole scenario was unfolding.

    FYI the 21st President was Chester Arthur.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home