Viking Dusty's "Blog Classic"

A small, poignant slice of the curious pie that is Dusty's brain.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Thank You!

As many of you know, my sister got married on March 4th. Knowing the demands and stress that can accompany a wedding I asked what i could do to help. My request was appreciated and i was soon deligated to be the pick-up man for the wedding cake. Scary job, let me tell you. This was something that i did not want to screw up, so i decided that i wanted to get the cake as soon as possible on the morning of the wedding. Getting the cake extra early would ensure that i would have plenty of time in case i got lost on the way there or on the way back. Yes, i am actually aware of some of my shortcomings. One area where i seem to be substandard is the area of understanding and following directions unless they are clearly written down. Even if they are clearly written down, i have a hard time following written directions while driving. My confidence was not boosted when Kristie gave me written directions that did not include a final address and had 4 lines of the directions ending in question marks. But these factors i was hoping to control with all of the extra time i had. Also, my time buffer would keep me from having to hurry to do my job. Hurrying could be fatal to a wedding cake and the last thing i wanted was to have to tell my sister why her cake looked smashed and covered in gravel. Another advantage to going early was that Bethany would be able to help me. She was in the wedding and needed to be at the church by 9:30 to get ready, but since we were getting the cake at around 7:30am it wouldnt be a problem. This fact also meant that Bethany could be the one to drive.

Things started off a little shaky. We ended up leaving a little bit late (around 7:45am) and were having much difficulty following Kristies "directions". Finally, we asked a couple of ladies who were out for a morning jog to assist us in locating our target destination. They gladly obliged and we soon found ourselves at the Fred Meyer containing my sister's wedding cake. Our celebration was short lived. When we inquired about the cake our inquiry was met with blank stares that communicated only confusion, discomfort, and the suspicion that there was no cake waiting for us. Our suspicions were momentarily confirmed when the people in the bakery hesitantly said that they had no orders for any wedding cakes. Controling my desire to use colorful language and a loud volume i calmly gave them the receipt for the already-paid-for cake (cakes actually; 2 sheet cakes and 1 3-tiered wedding cake). Realizing they needed to move fast they said that they would have the cake done by 11am. We had no other choice but to accept. Discouraged and wrought with fear, we returned to the church. Kristie took the news fairly well. Though understandably upset she never used any of the words that we have heard mom use, but ourselves were never allowed to utter(just teasing you mom). Kristie called Fred Meyer and they told her that they would have the cake done as soon as possible and that she would also get a refund in full. We were left with one minor problem. I still needed an assistant. I called my Aunt Yvonne's house to see if anyone there would be willing to come up to the church early (family didnt need to be their till much later). My cousin Mark was sent because he fit the criteria of already being dressed and having a vehicle. Mark came and assisted and even left his own mark on the situation.

After the reception, once we finally were able to get the bride and groom off on their honeymoon (they seemed almost hesitant to leave). Bethany and i went to undertake our other important job: transportation of presents to their new home. One problem. The quantity of presents greatly exceeded the amount of space in our vehicle. My solution: ask Mark if he would mind taking a load with us. He was driving a nice, roomy SUV. The perfect vehicle for transporting presents. Mark, being the kind of guy that he is agreed to help out... again. We loaded the presents in a timely manner and set off for our destination. Bethany leading and Mark and i following. As fate would have it, we got seperated from Bethany. Yet even without her as a guide i remained confident. I had been to their house once before and i thought i remembered how to get there. All i needed to do was have Mark follow Holgate down to 143rd, take a right and we would be home free. As we ventured down Holgate we came to a grim sign: "Dead End". An ocean of unpleasant reality threatened to drown me with the knowledge that my navigational skills were tragically non-existant. Unwilling to admit defeat, I told Mark to go down to Foster. I must have somehow gotten the two streets mixed up. We went to Foster, but were again disappointed when we got to 143rd. Eventually, we figured out that where we wanted to be was 134th and Foster. Having wasted a good 20-30min, but back on the right track we continued to Kristie and Chuck's house. Bethany passed us heading the other direction (she had finally given up waiting for me and the key and was going to try to track us down). She turned around once she saw us and we finished our task without anymore hitches.

Finally, we arrived at the Cherry's house (Uncle John and Aunt Yvonne were having all of the relatives over after the wedding). There were a lot of people there that don't get the luxury of spending much time with Mark because he lives in California and they do not. But most of them had to leave shortly after we got there because they had long drives back to their homes. Mark ended up sacrificing his time with people he rarely gets to see in order to help me out. We had some great conversation during our adventures and not once did he ever complain about helping me or my inability to navigate. And well... i just wanted to say "thank you" Mark. And if there is anything i can do to help get ready for your wedding just let me know (and if it involves directions give me an assistant who knows the way).


This blog entry is dedicated to a man that I greatly admire. Mark Heatwole... this blogs for you!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger thesticklergirl said…

    Good story! Tell another!

    Way to go Mark :)

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was wonderful being up there with you all last weekend. Family camp or bust!!!

     
  • At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you, kind sir. I'm not sure I did anything useful past providing company, but I had fun regardless. Oh, and thanks for the Portland tour. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home